Shortly before she died in 2004, Tracy (the “Baby Whisperer”) Hogg and I made plans for me go solo on a fourth book that would tackle a far more complex and challenging job than parenting young children: managing a family. Ten years in the making, this is that book, built on the premise that children should be members of the family, not its center. (Read more here)
Cited by the online magazine Sharable as one of the best books of 2014, Family Whispering calls for a new child-rearing paradigm that right-sizes kids and eases modern parents’ guilt. It is the ultimate guide to being a “We” family: focus on Us and, at the same time, protect each “I.” With a family-centered mind set, everyone matters. You will still be amazed by your kids– just not blinded by them. Everyone pulls his or her weight, not just the adults; and everyone gets attention, not just the children.
Family Whispering is filled with charts, boxes, checklists and practical strategies that will help you observe what happens between members as well as to them. Instead of seeing yourself acting on your child, you begin to grasp how each relationship influences the others. You will view common everyday challenges, like sibling rivalry and chore wars, with fresh eyes. And you will deal with them differently.
Read the first chapter of Family Whispering here.
- “Family Whispering is chock full of solutions for parents with children who want to control the family, siblings who are long on rivalry, and for your own instinct to be a protective or Helicopter parent. The move into family-centered parenting allows everyone in the family to have a voice and be heard—precisely what is needed to raise children who thrive.”
– Psychology Today
- “Our first and most important relationships are formed in our families. Melinda Blau encourages us to have an expansive perspective, showing child-obsessed parents how to become more family-focused and to empower their kids to form loving, resilient connections. Healthy families are the best defense against the anxieties of our modern world.”
– Dr. Drew Pinsky, TV and radio personality and best-selling author)
- “This warm, accessible, and highly practical guide will be an indispensable resource for families who are eager to find ways to thrive–together.”
– Gretchen Rubin, best-selling author, The Happiness Project and Happier at Home
- “This book is full of common sense and clarity and will help families mend their bridges and their ways. It is proof that we are all utterly interdependent and teaches us how to respond to one another with decency and respect.”
– Andrew Solomon, National Book Award winner and author, Far From the Tree
- “Even if moms and dads apply only 10% of what they learn in Family Whispering, they will become better parents. Packed with useful advice, charts, relatable examples, common sense, and big-hearted insights, this is a book America needs.”
– Sally Koslow, author, Slouching Toward Adulthood